Case Studies: Bearing Manufacturing
Non-Destructive Testing Faster and More Accurate than Visual Inspection
Producing defect-free parts is essential for bearing manufacturers: their customers and the downstream users depend on it. A global bearing manufacturer discovered how using NDT-RAM saved time over visual inspection and more accurately identified defects.
- 200% visual inspection
- 180 hours of labor
- Discovered 44/11,000 bearings were cracked (missed 216 parts that were actually non-conforming)
- Customer returned all parts to the manufacturer
- 88 additional cracked bearings discovered (missed in visual inspection)
- 128 additional non-conforming pieces discovered (missed in visual inspection)
- missing chamfers
- excessive ODs
- short feedouts
- Magnetic Particle Inspection validated the NDT-RAM sort was 100% accurate
- Completed 85% faster than visual inspection
- Full traceability of testing and documentation of part compliance
NDT-RAM Testing Offers Process Monitoring
A bearing manufacturer noticed an increase in the number of failures in the NDT-RAM process and discovered that every fifth part that came down the line failed. Failures were traced back to a grinding and polishing station that processed parts in groups of five.
NDT-RAM proved to be an early indicator of tooling wear.